Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Nothing's free in free agency

It's July 5, do you know who your shooting guard is?

A week ago, I thought the Cavs would've landed a free agent by now because they have the most money in the market. This morning ESPN reported that Ray Allen will re-sign with the Sonics, which I think will start a flurry of signings in the next few days. Whether the Cavaliers get a piece of it or not is yet to be seen.

I genuinely think Micheal Redd will wait until the Bucks decide on a head coach before deciding what team he'll sign with. I think it is a good sign for the Cavs that he hasn't taken the Bucks offer, a total max out worth more than $90 million for six years, over the Cavs $70 million offer over five years.

But remember, Redd has hinted to the Bucks for months that he intends to re-sign and now has $20 million reasons to keep that promise. If he doesn't, he'll want an exit strategy and maybe if the Bucks don't hire a coach he's thrilled with, he can bolt.

Interestingly, I'm told the Cavs shipped him a video that marketed the city, the new ownership and LeBron James. Supposedly, through some slick editing, there's a scenario in there where James drives to the basket, draws a double team and kicks it to Redd for an NBA winning 3-pointer. Hmm, didn't that just happen when Rasheed Wallace stupidly doubled Manu Ginobili and left Robert Horry for an open 3-pointer in the real deciding game (No. 5) of the Finals?

Anyway, that's the package the team is selling.

Mr. Redd: Come be LeBron's Scottie Pippen and end up on the list of NBA 75 greatest players 17 years from now.

Whether or not that pitch makes up for $20 mil is a matter of money and the mind. In that case, I usually bet on money.

Speaking of money and free agency, I'll be in Las Vegas for the next week for Cavs Summer League. I'd be telling you all about Luke Jackson and Martynas Andruiskivicious. But I'm also going to be gathering information for a series of stories I'm going to be doing on the World Series of Poker, the Main Event $10,000 buy in is going on at the same time. I'll be glad to detail it for you soon.

Take care,
Brian
bwindhor@thebeaconjournal.com