Monday, February 28, 2005

Quad dubs, MRedd, and Money!

Before we get the latest installment, first let me issue some information that will cool the hot flow of e-mail to my inbox. Last week I got a question about the history of quadruple doubles. I heard from no less than 15 of you in response. Many thanks to those who e-mailed, consider this a response to all of you stat nuts. Keep up the good work and thanks for reading.

Here are the recorded four, though Wilt Chamberlain likely had numerous before they were tracked.

Nate Thurmond, Chicago, 10/18/74: 22 pts, 14 reb., 13 ass., 12 bks.
Alvin Robertson, San Antonio, 2/18/86: 20 pts, 11 reb., 10 ass., 10 steals
Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston, 3/29/90: 18 pts, 16 reb,. 10 ass., 11 bks.
David Robinson, San Antonio, 2/17/94: 34 pts, 10 reb, 10 ass, 10 bks.

Of course I could've looked it up the other night, but it was late and I didn't feel like it.

There were also several comments about my Sunday Column, in which I compare the Carlos Boozer situation to what is developing in Milwaukee with Michael Redd.

I get dozens of e-mails about Redd, most Cavs fans think he's the answer to what the team needs most. He would certainly help because he's a great shooter and All-Star, a major piece in the puzzle. Plus he's from Ohio and he's a free agent.

But it might be a good idea to start dealing with the idea that Redd isn't coming, even though my column suggests trusting him in Milwaukee may be dangerous. There are a number of players who can help the Cavaliers and they don't have to be through free agency.

There's a hundred different ways to use the invaluable cap space the Cavaliers will have this summer. Last summer, the Denver Nuggets used cap space to get Kenyon Martin by trading two draft picks for him for example. There also other trades and free agents out there, namely Joe Johnson of the Suns. Ray Allen will also be free, but it sounds like he wants more money than the Cavaliers are willing to offer.

In other news, tomorrow the Cavaliers will officially belong to Dan Gilbert. I'm told the money changed hands today. Now, Gilbert, his good friend Dave Katzman (read the Sunday column) and hip hopper Usher bought the team for $374 million.

There's about a $100 million in debt, less the $37 million outgoing majority owner Gordon Gund won't get because he's keeping 10 percent of the team. I'm sure there's taxes and other legal fees, plus a bunch of very small minority owners to deal with. But here's my point, Gund is still going to be clearing more than $100 million. I mean, how do you celebrate that? Surf and Turf and a bottle of merlot? Seriously, how would you celebrate that?

Okay, with that bouncing around your head, think about the Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban. That dude sold some websites for $6 billion back in the booming '90s. SIX FREAKING BILLION! I mean, that's like, unreal. I can not compute those numbers.

So, loyal, savvy, and whitty readers, if you were Gordon Gund, how would you celebrate cashing in on LeBron and only having to pay him like $7 million over the last one-plus seasons? Best ideas make the blog.

Alright. I just got back from Jersey and boy do I need a shower. I'm sorry any NY/NY readers, but you should know how I feel. I did make it back on time this morning on Continental flight 525 and I had hot water at the Newark Airport Marriott. If you don't get these refereneces, I implore you to read the "A series of Unfortuntate Events" entry from December. Trust me, it's worth your time.

Take care,
Brian aka bwindhor@thebeaconjournal.com

p.s. This was penned with Black Betty, Lenny Kravitz's Where Are We Runnin', and Dr. Dre's Still D.R.E., and Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London among others. I told you my tastes were wacko. Cheers!